As a self-confessed cleaning addict, I can’t think of anything more therapeutic than vacuuming, putting on my favorite playlists, and starting my cleaning game.
So much so that I literally have a household tool for every cleaning job imaginable. From stick, upright, and hand-held vacuums to steam mops and spray mops, you name it. But there is one essential part of the cleaning kit that everyone seems to forget: these vacuum cleaner accessories.
You know the bag of 10+ fancy accessories that comes inside the box with your expensive vacuum cleaner – that you’ll never use? And while it’s common to think, “I won’t need this anyway,” before hiding in the depths of your utility closets (which you’ll never see again), these handy vacuum cleaner accessories are incredibly useful.
So, are people really not using their vacuum cleaner accessories? With the exception of the extension cord and crevice tool, it can be a bit confusing what all the different brush heads, nozzles, and other gimmicks are used for.
However, these could be the secret to your deep cleansing regimen (I’m not kidding), and make all the difference!
Here, I take a look at the pros and cons of the humble yet powerful vacuum cleaner accessories, and why I love them so much.
What are these vacuum cleaner accessories for?
In an ideal world, all we want is a powerful vacuum cleaner to treat our floors and carpets. So when you are faced with an extra bag of accessories, it is often difficult to decipher what each one is doing. Here’s a quick summary of the common cleaning accessories that come in your box:
- Crevice tool – Thin tool with an angled tip designed to get into all those tough nooks, crannies and nooks. Ideal for cleaning baseboards, between sofa cushions, behind radiator or air vents.
- Extension rod – This handy accessory for the tip of your wand provides more reach for high places and ceilings. Ideal for cobwebs and hanging dust ebbs.
- Dusting brush – A round brush with one inch long soft bristles, ideal for dusty windowsills, shelves, around picture frames, lamps and other decorative pieces.
- The upholstery tool – They are convenient for cleaning your fabric sofa, curtains and cushions.
- Mattress tool – These are not always in every box but very practical to have to collect dust and allergens.
- Turbo or stair brush – This is a smaller version of your cleaner main motorized brush head. Due to its compact size, it can tackle stairs quickly, thoroughly clean upholstery and is ideal for the car.
- Pet groomer – Animal lovers will definitely see the benefit of this handy tool. It is designed to vacuum the fur without the hair clogging the brush.
Why I like to use vacuum cleaner accessories
They can get to the tough spots your vacuum just can’t – You can try to roll your Dyson Small Ball vacuum under the sofa as much as you want, but it still won’t get to those tricky spots.
They are designed to clean specific things (correctly) – If you think that one brush head will do all the work, you are wrong. Accessories are designed to tackle specific areas and will do the job much better. You will get a much deeper cleaning on your steps with the stair brush tool rather than maneuvering your regular brush head and doing a bad job!
They actually make your cleansing regimen faster. – Besides the obvious stop to change your accessories, using precise tools for each cleaning job will make cleaning much faster. After all, there would be no more repetitions with your vacuum if you missed a spot.
Accessories can offer great value for money – Let’s face it, you only wanted a new vacuum cleaner, but here you are with these extra accessories to go with it! So not only are you buying something to clean your floors, but also tools to clean your sofa, mattress, lampshade, car and everything in between. Win, win!
The disadvantages of vacuum cleaner accessories
They take up too much space in the closet – If you live in a small apartment or already have a full closet (no more accessories), vacuum cleaner accessories can take up storage space. Either way, now is a good time to declutter and make room for your attachments – preferably somewhere you’ll remember.
You may not need all 10+ of these – The common reason we don’t use our vacuum cleaner accessories is because we just don’t need them. Be sure to check all the accessories before purchasing your new vacuum and decide if they are needed. If you don’t have pets, the pet grooming accessory might not be for you.
You will need to stop cleaning to exchange attachments – If you’re like me and just like to ‘vacate and go’, stopping halfway to change attachments can be inconvenient. In most cases, more time is wasted trying to find the right attachment for the job. So it’s always best to prepare any attachments you’ll need ahead of time before tackling household chores!
Should you bother using vacuum cleaner accessories?
Absoutely! Remember, you might have the best vacuum in the world, but that’s nothing without their trusted accessories.
So the next time you take out your vacuum for a deep clean in your home, every now and then think about these handy and dumped vacuum accessories. Try them all and trust me, your home will be spotless!