By Anneliese Taggart, WVUA Digital Journalist
This week, Governor Kay Ivey kicks off her first Made in Alabama showcase, showcasing products made in Alabama in America during Manufacturing Month.
The Governor selected 12 top-rated companies for their work in producing exceptional products for the state and invited them to display their products at the Alabama State Capitol.
All of the exhibitors, representing the seven congressional districts, were nominated by the Business Council of Alabama, the Chamber of Commerce Association of Alabama and Manufacture Alabama. This year’s winners include:
- Monroe sausage dates back to the 1940s, when it was homemade in County Monroe. Today, it’s known for its smoky walnut-wood texture, best seasonings, and fame throughout Alabama.
- Vulcan, Inc. began as a small sign maker in Birmingham in 1935. Now located in Foley, Vulcan, Inc. has grown into a factory for aluminum, metal stamps, utility signs and more .
- Dean’s Cake House is home to Alabama’s famous seven-layer cake and was founded by Dean Jacobs in 1994 at his home in Andalucia. Today, its 18 employees bake more than 400 seven-tier cakes every day!
- John Emerald Distilling, located in downtown Opelika, is known for its craft whiskey, vodka, rum and unique cocktail menu.
- The SHOWA group has been present in Fayette for more than 50 years, producing gloves for almost all industries and all risks. SHOWA is currently the sole US manufacturer of Nitrile, a single-use PPE glove that helped fight the AIDS pandemic and allergic reactions in the early 1990s.
- SouthFresh Feeds is based in Demopolis and provides superior nutrition to support animal health and growth. Their products include feed for horses, cattle, deer and aquaculture.
- Haleyville-based Kith Kitchens designs and creates custom kitchen cabinets, doors and finishes. Kith started as a family business in 1998 and takes pride in their exceptional cabinets with a lifetime warranty.
- American Cast Iron Pipe Company has been manufacturing hydrants, valves, structural caissons and pilings, and more in Birmingham for over a century.
- Zone Protects is a faith-based Decatur company that started out as an all-natural animal repellant to keep animals away from flower beds, gardens and more. She quickly branched out to create high-quality, all-natural insect repellents, as well as disinfectants and sanitizers.
- Eleven86 Real Artesian Water produces pure and fresh water, nestled in the small town of Autaugaville. The water is filtered from the rock and sand and excludes any fillers or additives to provide a delicious and refreshing taste.
- Alabama Sawyer is a Birmingham-based furniture maker that specializes in unique wood pieces including dining tables, seating, storage and kitchen accessories.
- Henry Brick Company was founded in 1945 in Selma and uses the rich clay of central Alabama to create a beautiful, high-quality brick that can be found throughout the United States.